At a Glance
Known as the most high-end member of the Marriott Bonvoy credit card lineup, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card offers Bonvoy devotees, frequent travelers and big spenders a selection of luxurious benefits. Partnered with American Express to offer the best value possible with every purchase and point redeemed. Although its $450 annual fee is on the higher side of the margin, it is substantially worth it if you make use of your points and card perks. Reward points can be redeemed for Marriott Bonvoy hotel bookings, hotel upgrades, airfaire, vacation packages, gift cards, charity donations or points can also be transferred to another partner loyalty program.
Earn 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in purchases in your first three months.
Who is this Card Best For?
Primarily the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant is geared toward existing Marriott Rewards members who want to supplement their stay-based points earning and get additional perks when staying at Marriott properties.
Frequent travelers that love to travel in-style. So, if you are someone who likes to stay at prestigious hotels when you travel and travels often enough to take complete advantage of all the benefits and upgrades, then this card offers many hotel perks that will suit your needs.
Card Type: Premium Travel card
Annual Fee: $450
Sign up Bonus: 75,000 bonus membership rewards, worth $600 in cash value.
Regular APR: 17.49% to 26.49%
Rewards: 6X points on Marriott Bonvoy hotels, 3X points at U.S. restaurants and on flights and 2X points for all other purchases
Foreign Transaction Fee: 0
Benefits & Features
Marriott Bonvoy Statement Credits:
- Receive up to $300 cash back from eligible purchases made from booking at participating hotels.
- You are also entitled to receive up to $100 property credit when you book a two-night stay at the Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis through the Bonvoy site.
- Receive up to 15 Elite Night credits in your Marriott Bonvoy members accounts within 60 days of opening this credit card.
- This card upgrades your Marriott members status to Gold, earning you the ability to upgrade your rooms, late checkout at no cost and receive a 25%-point bonus on all Marriott bookings.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year on your activation anniversary date. This award can be used for redemption at participating hotel.
- There are absolutely zero charges for using your card internationally.
- Grants you access to Boingo airport wi-fi at all participating airports.
- Access for you and two guests to over 1,000 airport lounges worldwide.
- Baggage insurance plan covers lost, stolen or damages costs up to $3,000 per covered individual, per trip. This also includes any carry-on luggage you may also have.
- Travel accident insurance provides coverage for up to $500,000 for you and your family while travelling via plane, train, cruise ship or bus.
- Receive up to $100 credit for Global Entry or $85 towards TSA Pre✓. Credits are given every 4 and 4.5 years respectively.
- With the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant you also receive premium roadside assistance, which includes free towing and auto rental collision damage waiver.
- You receive Premium in-room internet access at any Marriott Bonvoy hotel.
- If you are travelling and are in need of any assistance whatsoever, Amex offers you the Premium Global Assist Hotline service. You can rely on 24/7 medical, legal, financial and other assistance services while travelling more than 100 miles from home.
- Receive insurance for stolen or damaged purchases under the Purchase Protection plan offered with your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex card. This pUrchase protection also includes an extended warranty for any eligible purchases made your card, while in the U.S. or abroad.
- Entitles you to a ShopRunner membership with comes with its own set of perks like 2-day shipping on eligible items.
- Gain access to exclusive ticket presales and card member-only events in a city near you.
Since the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant is affiliated with American Express, customers gain the excellent customer service provided by Amex specialists. You have the option to chat with a live representative 24/7 once you log in to your account and send a secure message. You can also call their customer service to get a real person on the line 24/7.
American Express also offers a top-rated mobile app for iPhone and Android devices, where you can make transfers, pay your balance, and track your points.
- Airport Lounge Access – gives you Priority Pass Select Membership for you and two guests to more than 1,000 airport lounges worldwide for free.
- Valuable Sign up bonus – new users can earn up to 75,000 points once spent $3,000 in the first 3 months.
- Loyalty Marriott perks – since it’s a co-branded card with Amex, the perks and benefits are stellar. You can use these perks that include statement credits, complimentary Gold Elite Status and free hotel nights.
- No foreign transaction fees – allows you to use your credit card while travelling worry-free at zero cost.
- High Annual fee and no first-year waiver
- Low Points value when redeeming for other items aside from Marriott Hotel stays
- High Penalty APR of 29.99%
- Can only redeem points from Marriott rewards program unless points are transferred
- If you own another Marriott credit card you are not entitled to this particular Welcome offer
- Requires an excellent credit score
If you’re a Marriott loyalist and a frequent traveler, then the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant is an ideal choice. Its earning rates are not as lucrative as those of some of its competitors, but the built-in perks make the high annual fee worthwhile. Moreover, the program’s many airline transfer partners also make it a great choice for those looking to rack up points to redeem for free flights using their existing loyalty programs.