At a Glance
The Platinum Card from American Express is designed for frequent travelers but not just any kind of traveler. Specifically, those who like to travel in style. The card offers five points per dollar spent on flights directly booked with airlines or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com. For all other purchase you earn one point per dollar spent. Although $550 annual fee is high, it is worth it in the hands of the right cardholder. Reward points can be redeemed for travel purchases, cash back, gift cards, merchandise and much more.
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you $5,000 on purchases in your first three months.
Who is this Card Best For?
This credit card is truly designed with the frequent flyer in mind. If you plan to travel more than a dozen times a year for work or pleasure than this card is packed with perks and incentives that you might just be looking for like access to exclusive airport lounges.
This Amex card offers particular benefits for those who often use Uber. If you are someone who when travels or even at home, often make use of Uber and Uber Eats then you’re in for a real treat of up to $200 in credits.
Since this card is a charge card, its best for those who are able to pay off their balances in full every month as you cannot carry a balance month-over-month. If you do, you will incur a relatively high penalty APR.
Card Type: Premium Travel Charge card
Annual Fee: $550
Sign up Bonus: 60,000 bonus membership rewards
Regular APR: N/A
Rewards: 5X points on flight bookings, 5X points on prepaid hotels and 1X points for every $1 on all other purchases
Foreign Transaction Fee: 0
Benefits & Features
- Airport Lounge access: Your Amex Platinum card grants you access to over 1,200 airport lounges, in over 500 airports worldwide, in 130 countries. The exclusive lounges include all the Centurion Lounges in the major airports across the globe and other lounges including the International Amex lounges, the Delta Sky Clubs, the Priority Pass Select Lounges, the Airspace lounges and the Escape Lounges.
- International Airline Program: This perk offers you the ability to gain access to premium seating and preferred rates every time you book International First Class, Business Class and Premium Economy with participating airlines.
- Baggage Insurance: For any lost, damaged or stolen baggage, know that you are covered up to $2,000 for checked and carry-on baggage. The trip in question must have been booked with your Amex Platinum card.
- Uber Rides: With your Platinum Card®, you’ll receive $15 in Uber Cash for U.S. rides every month plus a bonus $20 around the Christmas Holidays. That’s up to $200 for Uber rides annually. This Amex card also automatically makes you an Uber VIP member, where available, allowing you to be matched with top-rated drivers. The credit can also be used for Uber Eats!
- Airline Credit: Receive up to $200 in qualifying airline credit per calendar year. This includes: in-flight purchases for wi-fi and refreshments, checked bags fees and incidentals.
- Car Rental Insurance: When you use your card to reserve and pay for a car rental, you are entitled to secondary coverage which includes any damages or theft. There are some exclusions so make sure to check the terms and conditions. Rentals in Australia, New Zealand and Italy are excluded for example.
- Hotel & Resort programs: Offers 5X rewards points for prepaid reservations at Fine Hotels & Resorts or booking via amextravel.com.
- Status Upgrade: Makes your status Gold at any Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors. Upon check-in you receive room upgrades and hotel complimentaries.
Foreign Travel Benefits:
- No foreign transaction fees: There are absolutely zero charges for using your card internationally.
- Travel Credit: Amex offers a fee credit for Global Entry up to $100 every 4 years, as well as up to $85 credit for TSA Pre✓ every 4.5 years.
- Premium customer support: If you are travelling and are in need of any assistance whatsoever, Amex offers you the Premium Global Assist Hotline service. You can rely on 24/7 medical, legal, financial and other assistance services while travelling more than 100 miles from home.
- Saks Platinum: Get up to $100 in credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue or Saks.com. That’s equivalent to $50 cash back.
- Return Protection: Offers full refunds for certain purchases within 90 days of the date of purchase, including shipping and handling, up to $300 per item and a maximum of $1,000 per year. These purchases however, must be made within the USA.
- Dispute Resolution: Any incorrect or fraudulent charge on the account will be investigate and Amex will work with you to resolve the issue as promptly as possible.
- Entertainment Access: Exclusive access to event ticket presales and members-only events. Also offers preferred seating for select cultural and sporting events based on availability.
- Concierge Service: The Amex Platinum card offers you complimentary assistance with planning lunch meetings, procuring group tickets for events or even booking ground transportation.
- Global Dinning Collection: More than a reservation, the Global Dinning Collection provides you special access to culinary events and experiences in any city where available.
American Express credit card is ranked as one of the top performers in customer service. You have online access 24/7 via their live chat option which can be accessed through your desktop or mobile devices. They also offer 24/7 customer support over the phone.
The Amex app offers account access to users to make points and track their point balance. The app also sends notifications for nearby potential rewards and deals you might be interested in.
You can also use the Membership Rewards calculator to calculate the value of your points depending on your redemption option, prior to.
- Complimentary access to Airport Lounges – grants access to over 1,200 lounges in over 130 countries.
- Valuable Sign up bonus – new users can earn up to 60,000 points once spent $5,000 in the first 3 months
- Luxury Travel perks – Amex offers airline and hotel credits as well as status upgrades at luxury hotels and car rental companies. All gains you access to exclusive events and experiences.
- No foreign transaction fees – allows you to use your credit card while travelling worry-free.
- Referral Bonus – earn a fair-sized bonus when you refer friends and family for an Amex Platinum card of up to 15,000 points per approval with a max of 225,000 points per
- High Annual fee and no first-year waiver
- High Penalty APR of 29.99%
- Amex is a charge card, meaning your balance must be paid in full every month
- Points redemption takes a long time to be credited to your account, sometimes up to 12 weeks
- Does not get you airline specific perks like priority boarding
- Requires an excellent credit score
The American Express Platinum card offers solid rewards and the perks are outstanding, but the annual fee can’t be ignored. Nonetheless, this card is one of the top premier cards on the market for travel. If you are not a seasoned traveler who embellishes in the luxuries of travel, then this card is not for you.